One of the joys a godly woman has when God brings a godly man to be her husband is the pursuit and commitment of being a godly wife. This pursuit is good, right, and honorable. It’s pleasing to God as she seeks to be joyfully obedient to the Lord Christ and His Word. It’s very true that along with the happiness and many joys a godly wife has with her husband, faithful walking as the other half of his flesh is full of challenges, hills and valleys. As two sinners are brought together in marriage, challenges undoubtedly arise on both sides.
For the godly wife, some of these challenges press against her from the outside, even from her own husband. Others swell up from within her own heart. Some may experience daily fears and insecurities that arise, frequent frustrations, perceived or real expectations from others, pressures and lures from the world – all of which try to affect her view of herself, her relationship with Christ, her relationship with her husband, as well as her success in godly walking as a wife with her husband. Sometimes time on the mountaintops may seem short lived, few and far between, whereas the journey through valleys feels more and more like the main course in her life. Can you relate?
Where is the godly wife’s hope? Where is her help? It’s very true that help is found in the love, embrace, and support of her husband. Also, and importantly, her hope and help are securely found, rooted, and grounded in the strong name and person of her Lord, in the ever-present and compassionate care of Jesus. Daughter of God, be encouraged and refreshed by His love and care for you, His presence with you, His provision for you, His Spirit’s work within you, His Word’s effective work within you. Christ lifts you up. Christ helps you leap like a deer on the hills, and have peace and joy in the midst of the valleys, especially marital valleys. Spend much time with Him. Enjoy His goodness to you. Pray that He would guide, grow, and guard you. Pray for Christ’s blessing of you and your husband in your marriage.
Meditate on, study, and prayerfully seek grace to grow in the following 7 characteristics in your life. A godly wife:
- Loves and Respects Her Husband: A godly wife seeks to have a loving, intimate relationship with her husband. She also strives daily to show respect and honor to him as her head. (Ephesians 5:33)
- Is Biblically Submissive to Her Husband: Tragically, many miss the beauty and strength of biblical marital submission. The egalitarians rage against it. Satan loves to attack biblical marriage, undermine and destroy it as well as the concept of it, even distort and try to remove marriage all together from the world’s vocabulary and practice. But, my prayer is that you will consider God’s very Word to you in all of its glorious beauty, meaning and importance. When a wife submits to her husband, she is recognizing and embracing the fact that he is the God-appointed head and leader of their relationship and home. Such submission shouldn’t be out of terror to a tyrant. Wifely submission isn’t to be like she is a slave. Husbands, if you’re a tyrant in your home and with your wife, you’re missing the mark big time. Biblical submission of a wife to her husband should be out of a love-fueled desire to please and obey God and His design and command, along with a desire to love her husband as the one God has brought alongside him in a beautiful union. When viewed and done rightly, wifely submission is a delightful thing! (Ephesians 5:22-33)
- Seeks to be Modest in Her Dress: Contrary to the ungodly woman’s clothing that points to herself and her body instead of her Father in Heaven and His holiness. A godly wife, as should be true of all godly women, adorns herself with modesty and discretion (1 Timothy 2:9). She knows and values God’s view of the beauty of her unseen character of a gentle and quiet spirit. For He sees it as precious (1 Peter 3:4).
- Seeks to be Holy in Her Conduct: A godly wife fears the Lord and is praised (Proverbs 31:30). She seeks God’s will over the approval of anyone else on earth. Her godly fear makes her aware of the future consequences of her choices. Therefore, a godly wife avoids any situation that would be destructive for her future usefulness to God, and witness of Christ to her husband or others (1 Peter 3:1-2).
- Seeks to Care for the Home: A godly wife seeks to care for her home well (Titus 2:5). She uses her skills to be a blessing to her husband and family. She also seeks to serve with food, hospitality, and take care of others needs (Proverbs 31:13, 20).
- Seeks to do Good to Her Husband: A godly wife seeks to lovingly care for her husband and do good to him, not evil. She is one he safely trusts. “Safely trusts” are two wonderful words. A godly husband knows and has peace that he can explicitly trust his godly wife. There’s no risk in doing so. This is a thing of beauty in a marriage relationship (Proverbs 31:11-16).
- Is Praised by Her Husband: As the Spirit is at work in and through a godly wife, the fruit of her character and labors is rewarded with praise. Her husband praises her (Proverbs 31:28). Husbands, be mindful of this. Often in life and time in marriage, we can get tunnel visioned and dull in our observation of the beauty and virtues in our wives and the Lord’s work in them. We don’t praise our wives as we ought. Prayerfully seek to have eyes wide open – watching, thanking God, and praising your wife as evidence of divine grace shine forth in her.
Daughters of God, godly wives, take joy in the Spirit’s work of growing you in godliness, especially in the midst of challenge and trial. May our Lord grant you much grace in these areas and all others that you would be a beautiful testimony of Christ and a blessing to your husbands and family. Keep in mind, as the Lord blesses you, you aren’t only blessing your husband, but also your children and others as they are watching and learning more about what it looks like to be a godly wife!